Google Android Developer Interview
We are going to discuss the Google Android Engineer Interview Process and the resources required for the preparation. We will also discuss the types of questions asked for the Android Developer role.
As we all know that the interview questions change from candidates to candidates. Also, the interview process changes over time. We will discuss what type of questions are asked during the Google Android Developer Interview in general and the process of the Interview in general.
First of all, how to get shortlisted for the Interview.
- Get referred through your friends who are currently working at Google. This is the best way to get into the Interview Process at Google.
- Build your Github Profile. Your profile should have great projects to showcase. For example, check my Github profile (Amit Shekhar, Co-Founder, MindOrks). When your profile is really good, you may get a direct email from Google to explore the opportunity at Google for the Android Developer role.
- Build your Linkedin Profile. Your profile should reflect some great work done by you.
When your Github and LinkedIn Profile is really good, Google recruiters may connect with you on LinkedIn or via email.
In order to build a really good profile, you should have the knowledge.
I personally believe that the following two things are very important:
- Knowledge: I have been continuously advising my fellow developers that Knowledge is the key. It is not easy, you will have to work hard for it. Knowledge comes to those who crave for it.
- Focus: Very very important. For example, My focus is to grow our company MindOrks. I do whatever is required for this. Similarly, if your focus is cracking the Google Android Interview, focus on that target and make it happen. I am sure you will achieve it.
Focus on your goals, not your fear. Focus like a laser beam on your goals - Roy T. Bennett
Now, that you have been shortlisted for the Interview or you are in contact with Google Recruiter. First, they will set up a telephonic call between the candidate and Google Recruiter. This call is generally to know your interest, what are you thinking about this opportunity at Google, what next and how can you start preparing for the Interview. They will tell you about the complete interview process.
Note: I have gathered the detail about the Interview process from information present on the Internet.
Android Interview Process at Google
- 1-2 telephonic interviews with Google Doc Shared that is focused on basic problem solving, Android Basics, and data structures.
- 2-3 Android/Coding Onsite interviews that involve whiteboarding solutions to the problems. The lesser experienced you are, the more number of coding rounds for you. In the Android round, they might ask you about the Handler Loopers, ViewModel Internals, MVVM Architecture, Multithreading, Memory leaks, Networking, Database, etc in detail. In the Coding round, they ask to solve the data structure and algorithm problems.
- 1-2 System Design Onsite interviews that involve coming up with high-level design architectures for real-life products. The more experienced you are, the more number of these interviews you might face. In this round, for example, they might ask you to design a Location Sharing App, Messaging apps like WhatsApp and etc.
If you have presented your projects in a resume in a better way, in some of the rounds, they discuss your projects. This is very important.
Note: The onsite round must be happening remotely now because of the current situation.
Now, let's discuss the materials required for the interview preparation.
Google Android Engineer Interview Preparation Material
- Android Interview Questions: We have created a repository for Android Interview Questions, Check here.
- Come and join our Android Online Course for Professionals and learn the latest in Android which is required for building your profile as well as for cracking the interview of Android Engineer Role at a good product-based company. In this course, Janishar Ali and I have put our knowledge from the combined experience of 10 years in Android.
- We have also uploaded a couple of videos on Youtube related to Android Interview, you can learn so many things from there. Check here.
- Go through our Tech Interview Kit to prepare yourself for the Data structure and Algorithm problem-solving interview round.
- Start learning concepts from our blogs. Ultimately knowledge is the key that will make you more confident during the interview. Just read 1 blog a day.
Steps for Data Structure and Algorithm Coding Round
- Understand the problem very well. A well-understood problem is already a half-solved problem.
- Possible follow-up questions to ask the interviewer.
- Designing the brute force or basic solution.
- Improving the time and space complexity.
- Writing the pseudo-code and checking boundary conditions.
Steps for System Design Interview Round
- Always ask clarification questions: To understand the problem and the requirement very clearly.
- Talk and sketch High-level Design.
- Connect the components with each other.
- Discuss the component in detail for which it is required based on the situation during the interview. Do not try to describe each component in detail unnecessary.
Finally, I will say the following points:
- Make your fundamentals strong about Android and Java or Kotlin.
- Prepare yourself for the Data Structures and Algorithms Interview.
- Prepare yourself for the System Design Interview.
- Be yourself and be ready to discuss the projects you have mentioned in the resume.
- Keep yourself updated with the latest trends in Android Technology.
- Always take help wherever required. The interviewer will help you.
- Always keep in mind that the interview is both-sided. It should be a discussion.
I hope these things will help you in cracking the Google Android Developer Interview.
That's it for now.
Happy Learning :)
Show your love by sharing this blog with your fellow developers.